Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Education (ECE) follows a collaborative model between the high school classroom and on site preschool. Students in ECE classes learn about how children grow and learn while interacting with our preschool students. All ECE high school students must submit a negative TB test from a licensed medical provider to enroll in class as our lab is a licensed preschool which follows all the requirements set forth by Arizona Childcare Liscencing and the Arizona Health Department. Students may take ECE all four years at CDO. Students recieving a passing score on the state Early Childhood Skills Assessment during second year will recieve a certificate of completion. After completion of second year and passing score on the state assessment, students my enroll in the Advanced ECE class of year 3 and 4 students.
Canyon del Oro Early Childhood Center (CDO Preschool) is located on the campus of Canyon del Oro High School in the Amphitheater School District. CDO Preschool is a working lab for the early childhood education classes at CDO High School. Early childhood students are present in the preschool the entire day learning, observing, teaching and working. CDO Preschool is not a daycare. Our center is a preschool with before and after care hours.
- CDO Preschool is fully licensed by the Arizona Department of Health Services Child Care Licensing Bureau. Our center is licensed to care for 25 fully potty trained 2, 3, 4 and 5-year-old students.
- CDO Preschool follows the Amphitheater Public School District calendar and therefore only open during school days. The center opens at 7:00am and closes promptly at 5:00pm. The preschool day starts at 8:30am and ends at 1:00pm. Rest time is 1:00pm-3:00pm daily.
- Parents provide sack lunch in an insulated lunchbox each day and preschool staff prepare two nutritious snacks a day.
- The center requires a $100 non-refundable registration fee upon acceptance. Acceptance will only occur after parents and child complete a tour with the director and preschool teacher. Tuition is $170 per week and due every Monday. Payment for May tuition is due by September 30th. We are not a DES designated program. Parents are solely responsible for tuition. Scholarships and reduced rate tuition are not offered.
- Our preschool is staffed by a fully certified and licensed teacher who holds an additional certificate in early childhood education. She is assisted by two teaching assistants with teaching licenses and years of early childhood experience. Our preschool director is available limited hours of the school day.