Welcome to advisory!
I am excited to have the opportunity to teach advisory class this year. This is an amazing opportunity for students to have a safe place on campus and to get help with their work and study habits and to participate in social/emotional learning lessons. I believe that all students can be successful, and advisory class will give kids the support they need to achieve their goals.
The purpose of advisory is:
* to develop meaningful relationships between students and at least one adult in the middle school
* to provide personal, organizational, and academic guidance for every student on campus
* to serve as an advocate, mentor, and liaison between parents and the school
* to create a warm, caring enviornment for middle school students at Coronado
Students are expected to demonstrate respect and responsibility at all times. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Coming to class on time every day, ready to work when the bell rings
- Adherence to the code of conduct
- Adherence to school/class behavioral expectations (SLANT, format matters, 100%, right is right)
- Following instruction the first time they are given
- Actively participating in class
- Submitting work on time and obtaining and completing work missed due to absence
Failure to meet class expectations will result in reminders of appropriate behavior, loss of behavior points in a student’s grade, teacher support, phone call/email to parents, or a disciplinary referral to the office.
Students who consistently meet class expectations are recognized in many ways, including paw pride coupons, extra time participating in academic games, public recognition, earning behavior points towards a student’s grade, opportunities to choose first in class activities, etc.
Helpful Hints & Reminders
Please check the parent portal regularly. Grades are updated regularly, including behavior grades, and this is the best way to be aware of how your child is progressing in class.
Students receive grades in two areas:
This class is graded pass/fail, and students must earn 75% to pass.
Please note: Work will only be graded if it has been labeled with a student’s name. No name=no grade. Check the no name basket if you think you have turned something in, but you did not receive credit for it.
Late work will be accepted up to one week after the due date.
Notes for online instruction:
Students are expected to check Schoology for new posts and assignments daily. Students are also expected to check their email daily. To assist in organization, I will post a weekly schedule each week.
When in remote by necessity learning, zoom meetings are required. Instruction will be given and students will receive feedback through these meetings. However, I understand that family situations vary and that there will be times when students do not have access at the particular scheduled meeting time. Therefore, I will record all meetings and they are available on request If a student misses a meeting, it is their responsibility to watch the zoom and complete any related classwork.
Late work will be accepted up to one week after the due date with no penalty. No work will be accepted after the grade book has closed. Grade book closure dates will be communicated through email.