Welcome to 2nd grade!
Attendance is extremely important. When students miss out on school days they miss out on important concepts that they need to succeed in second grade and beyond. It is also imperative students stay the whole day to have the fluid, quality learning needed beyond second grade. Please make sure students arrive before 7:45 and stay until dismissal. All changes need to be reported to the office no later than 2:00 p.m. Late arrival and early departure disrupts the learning environment of all students and results in the loss of valuable learning time.
In Room 29, we have lots of incentives and classroom management trackers.
- Acorns: Every Monday, students receive 3 “Acorns” which are used like money. Students can choose to spend these by using the restroom or grabbing a drink during class. The only no go times are during direct instruction - because this is valuable learning time. Students can earn acorns throughout the day by making good choices, answering questions, and helping others. The more you have, the more you can spend at our class store.
- Smart Mints: Peppermints are Brain Food! Aside from stimulating your alertness, peppermint can stimulate your brain in additional ways, including boost your mood. Great answers always earn a Smart Mint!
- “Behavior Tree”: When we are working together and making great choices we can earn Acorns and Flowers to put on the tree. When we are not working together or behaving appropriately, acorns and flowers may be removed or we just don’t earn any. When we earn 30 acorns/flowers, we get a cool activity or party.
- Character Traits Chart: Making good choices and being responsible for you learning is the way to go here in our classroom. Our choices throughout the entire day reflect the type of person we are. Students are rewarded for showing kindness, fairness, citizenship, trustworthiness, respect, and responsibility. Students receive a paper bracelet for each character trait they show consistently throughout the day.
- Sticker Bookmarks: Each student has a bookmark on their desk that has spots for 8 stickers. Students will earn stickers through postive behavior, staying on task, following instructions, and completing assigments.
Snacks :students may choose to eat a snack during recess time. Snacks may be items left from breakfast, brought from home, or donated to the entire class to share. If you would like to donate snacks, please consider healthy foods for us to share: Trail Mix, fruit snacks, pretzels, popcorn, and power/fiber bars are always welcomed. Think healthy and small!
Students will have homework Monday through Thursday night, and occasionally on weekends; This consists of Math, Reading, and Spelling.
Turning in homework late will result in a loss of privilege and/or staying in at recess to complete the missing homework. I give plenty of incentives and rewards for on time homework. Students who turn their homework in each and every day of the month are put on the Homework Hall of Fame and receive a prize.