Cross Middle School - Class information
Language Arts-Reading/Writing Prentice Hall Literature
OUR CLASS PERIOD WILL INCLUDE LESSONS BASED ON THE 6TH GRADE STANDARDS:
- Analyzing short stories/Literary Elements/Outside Reading
- Reading comprehension strategies
- Discussion, collaboration, journaling with novels
- Elements of Poetry
- Vocabulary/Greek and Latin stems
- Daily Warm Up - spiral learning
- Writing using the 6 Traits and the Writing Process
REQUIRED OUTSIDE READING
There are two options for outside reading:
- Students can do the required reading time of a minimum of 1 hour a week and complete a reading log that is due with a parent’s signature every month. This is worth up to 80 points out of 100.
- Students can read an entire chapter book at their reading level (150 pages minimum, if less, must be approved by teacher) and complete both the reading log and a parent interview form/genre sheet. This is worth up to 100 points out of 100.
- Homework is expected to be turned in ON TIME, late work it not accepted.
- Students are expected to go to the absent folder when they return to see the bellwork, classwork and homework that was missed. That is also where they will get any handouts that were passed out that day.
- Remind App - rmd.at/kbuckwa or text @kbuckwa to 81010 -- BEST WAY to get in touch with me
- By email - firstname.lastname@example.org (I will check my email at the beginning and end of each day)
- Website will be updated weekly with upcoming assignments and information
- By phone - 696-5964 for classroom (I do not answer my phone during teaching time, if you MUST speak to someone call 696-5920 for office)
Goals for our Classroom
- Work hard and do our very best
- Practice INTEGRITY
- Achieve academically and be quality citizens with outstanding character
- Be respectful
- Be responsible
- Be organized