Cross Middle School Orchestra Handbook 2020-2021
Orchestra Director: Mr. Toru Tagawa
Dear Students and Parents,
Welcome to the new school year. My name is Toru Tagawa, and this is my 3rd year as the Orchestra Director at Cross Middle School. I am also the Orchestra Director at Canyon del Oro High School where all our school concerts take place. I am looking forward to working with all of you and making great music. At Cross, we have two orchestras, the Intermediate Orchestra and the Advanced Orchestra.
In both orchestras, we will cover a variety of literature from J.S. Bach to Full Orchestra Music. We will be learning about composers, scales, key signatures in addition to playing your instrument.
Please read this handbook carefully and sign the online contract at Orchestra Contract by August 14, 2020. Make sure to put your T-shirts size, you will receive one Orchestra T-shirts. (Parents/family members may order for $15). We will make T-shirts after we are able to meet in person. Please sign up for Google Classroom, and sign up to the remind if you would like to be added to the list (For remind, you can sign up with your mobile phone, or by entering email address).
Intermediate Orchestra: fficfsc
Advanced Orchestra: 6qckdk2
Remind: 81010 text @crossorch
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Toru Tagawa, 520-696-5942
Orchestra Teacher, Cross Middle School
September 30 (Wed) Fall Concert at 6:30pm, CDO Auditorium, 5pm Call
December 9 (Wed) WinterConcert at 6:30pm, CDO Auditorium, 5pm Call
February 6 (Sat) AMEA Honors Orchestra, Flowing Wells HS (selected participants only)
March 2 (Tue) CDO Feeder Concert at 6:00pm, CDO Auditorium,5pm Call
May 11(Tue) Final Concert at 6:30pm, CDO Auditorium,5pm Call
5pm Call - means students are to arrive at the site at 5pm. There will be food provided for students by the Canyon del Oro High School Orchestra Booster Club.
Concert Attire for Performances
Men: Long Sleeve black or white dress shirts, black pants, black socks and black dress shoes.
Women: Floor-length black dress (short or long sleeve only), or long sleeve black for white shirts and black pants or floor-length skirt. Black closed toe shoes and black nylons or socks. No jewelry or accessories are allowed.
- You may join our online meetings up to 5 minutes before the official meeting time
- Find a quiet space
- Use a space with good lighting
- Adjust your camera to be eye level
- Video is not optional
- Mute your microphone unless you were told to speak, please unmute before you speak
- Make sure to change your screen name to first and last name. You will not be let into the session if I do not recognize your name.
- This is official class so listen, take notes, and participate
- You are on camera, avoid doing other tasks such as checking email, looking at your phone, talking with a sibling, etc.
- Please be dressed appropriately for class time. School dress code applies to online learning.
- The Chats can only be done from the student to the teacher only.
GENERAL BEHAVIOR & PARTICIPATION
- Students should become familiar with the school rules and regulations. Students are expected to follow the rules and regulations that the school has put forth for academic learning.
- Participation point(s) will be deducted for excessive, inappropriate, or disruptive behavior.
- Points can also be deducted for disruptive behavior, excessive tardies, absenteeism, cell phone use during class, failure to take part in class discussions, etc.
ATTENDANCE & TARDIES
- Attendance will be taken via Google Classroom participation or Zoom attendance.
- Zoom meetings will be held at least twice a week. There will be daily Google Classroom assignments, lectures, etc. that will also be used for attendance purposes.
- Students have the responsibility to turn assignments in on time. Assignments not turned in on time will be given up to a week to complete.
- Students are expected to create a positive learning environment for you and your colleagues. Please be considerate of others, and show respect to everyone. This applies as soon as you enter the Orchestra room.
- Students should own their own instruments in good condition, and bring them to school on orchestra days (cellos and basses are exempt from bringing them to school).
- Students must have necessary accessories such as pencils, rosin, shoulder rest, spare strings, cleaning cloths, endpin holder, mute, etc.
- No food or drink are allowed in the classroom. Water is allowed.
- Students are to follow the Cross MS code of conduct. Example, cell phones must be turned off during class time, appropriate attire, etc.
- Fingernails must be kept short in order to play the instrument.
- Classroom music must stay in the classroom. In the case of missing or music in poor condition, students are responsible for the replacement cost. Students are only allowed to mark in pencil.
- No large jewelry, No perfume or cologne.
- As soon as you are ready, you are to warm up (Scales, Excerpts)
This year that policy includes a new provision that students will receive no less than a 50% on any assignment. Due to the variables we are all facing in this online environment, Amphi feels that this will help reduce the penalization for students who may experience difficulties with technology that prevent them from completing an assignment on time.
Daily participation: 40% (You will receive maximum of 4 points per day, minimum 2 points per day, failure to turn in bell work or tardy will result in 1 point penalty)
Quiz/Test: 40% (Playing test, Written test, Final exam, etc)
Attendance for Extra Rehearsals: Required.
Concert Performances: 20% (each concert is 20% of the total grade)
Turning in Forms and Payments: You are expected to turn in forms and payments ontime.
A 90% - 100%
B 80% - 89%
C 70% - 79%
D 60% - 69%
F 59% - 50%
Students must perform at all concerts and festivals. Only illness, family illness, death, or religious holidays will be considered excused absences for a performance. Work is not an excused absence. Written permission from a parent or a doctor is required.
Concert Attire for Performances (This is for both orchestras, New as of 2020)