¡BIENVENIDOS A LA CLASE DE AP SPANISH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
Andreli Steiniger-Amphi High School
I am very excited to have you in my AP Spanish Language and Culture class, I am looking forward to the upcoming year! I need your cooperation and understanding regarding my rules and policies in order to have the most successful year possible.
Temas AP Textbook (there will be a class set)
Notebook or binder for notes
Notebook for vocabulary and definitions
Spanish only dictionary
Loose leaf paper everyday (This is very important and you must always have it with you throughout the year)
This course is designed to develop and enhance students’ knowledge of the Spanish language through reading, writing, listening and speaking and to successfully complete the AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam. Students demonstrate their proficiency in the modes of communication from the Intermediate to the Pre-Advanced range. Students will improve their cultural knowledge of the Hispanic world, as they will be exposed on art, history, literature, magazine, newspaper articles, holidays, traditions, etc. with the goal of providing a diverse learning experience.
The students aim towards proficiency through communicative activities, a thematic approach, and the practice of the 3 modes of communication: interpretative, interpersonal, and presentational. For this reason, both teacher and students will speak exclusively in Spanish throughout the year.
- Understand the spoken language both formally and informally through conversations, oral presentations, lectures, and other authentic material delivered in a variety of regional dialects.
- Understand newspaper, magazine articles from the Internet in the media as well as selected literary works, through the study of vocabulary, synthesis strategies, the use of context clues, and other reading strategies.
- Speak fluently in Spanish by participating in class activities and in the real world.
- Write essays, letters, e-mails, and other creative writing exercises accurately using synthesis strategies and other writing methods.
- Keep a running list of vocabulary in a notebook titled “Mi vocabulario” with definitions of the words using a dictionary. There will be notebook checks and you must have the words assigned by teacher and other words you find on your own.
- Present a relevant news story every week and keep a journal of the news presented in class, which includes the student’s own viewpoint and a cultural comparison.
- Write persuasive essays using the 6 themes in class.
- Practice speaking, listening, writing, and reading in the real world through the completion of journal-type entries which includes a comparison of the activities done with the student’s family, friends, community and/or country. Reading books assigned in class, etc.
Grading Policy: I use a weighted graded system in these categories:
Grading Scale: A= 100-90
F= 59 and below
Since most of the work is done in class attendance is critical. Points can be made up for excused absences; however they can be deducted for unexcused absences, tardies, class disruptions or being unprepared for class.
Late work/Make up work: Unless you have an EXCUSED absence, I do not accept late homework. If you are absent the day an assignment is due you must bring it to me the day you get back. If you are absent when work is assigned, it is your responsibility to come to me to ask about make-up homework. If you miss class, please copy the notes from one of your classmates.
Follow these rules for success in class:
- 1. I expect a positive attitude from all my students, there should be no negativity in the classroom towards anybody or anything.
- 2. I expect each and every one of you to display RESPECT towards others, the class and yourself. No food, gum or drinks are allowed in classroom, only water bottles.
- Make sure all comments and words used in class are positive and encouraging towards others. Any remarks making fun of, mimicking or mocking another person’s race, religion, lifestyle choices, etc, will not be tolerated.
- School policy states that cell phones and other electronic devices must be turned off during instructional time and therefore I expect them to be put away. If I see a cell phone or other devices during class time (whether or not it is on) I WILL TAKE IT AWAY and you can pick it up after school.
- 5. Class starts when the bell rings and I expect students to be in their seats, otherwise you will be considered tardy. Be prepared and ready to work with all your materials and homework.
- It is up to my discretion as to when you may use a hall pass. If I feel like privileges are being abused, they will be revoked.
1st Quarter: Families and Communities & Personal and Public Identities
- Unit/ Theme 1: Las familias y las comunidades
- Unit/ Theme 2: Las identidades personales y públicas
2nd Quarter: Science and Technology
- Units/ Theme 3: La ciencia y la tecnología
3rd Quarter: Contemporary Life & Global Challenges
- Unit/ Theme 4: La vida contemporánea
- Units/ Theme 5: Los desafíos mundiales
4th Quarter: Beauty & Aesthetics
- Units/ Theme 6: La belleza y la estética
- Daily speaking practice in class.
- Research and presentations
- There will be an exam similar to the AP exam in May to prepare you for the real test.
- Vocabulary quizzes
This is going to be a great year! Spanish AP Language and Culture will be a great and fun learning experience, I will do my best to make sure you succeed and love Spanish as much as I do. If you or your parents have any questions the best way to reach me is through email. I am generally available before school at 7:15 a.m. and after school until 3:45 p.m for any extra help, questions, concerns you may have.
Please fill out the information below and return it with your son/daughter. This is his/her first assignment (15pts.). Feel free to call me or email me if you have any questions.
Student’s Name: _____________________________________________
Print Parent/Guardian Name:__________________________________________
Please circle one:
Preferred mode of communication?
Primary language spoken at home?
English Spanish Other: ___________________
By signing below, I acknowledge that I have read and understand Sra. Steiniger’ expectations of my son/daughter for the school year.
After looking over the syllabus, please sign below and return to me for your first 15 participation points. ¡Gracias!
Student Signature Date
Parent Signature Date