Phone: (520) 696-5603
Degrees and Certifications:
M.A. in German Literature and Pedagogy from the University of Arizona B.A. in German; Romance Languages (French/Italian) from the University of Oregon
Herzlich Willkommen! (Welcome!)
About Me: Before completing my M.A. in German Literature at the University of Arizona, I spent a year working as an English Teaching Assistant at two private schools in Innsbruck, Austria. While I was studying for my B.A. in German Studies and Romance Languages (French/Italian), I attended the Université Fribourg in Switzerland for my junior year. In high school I was awarded the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange scholarship to live with a host family and go to a school in a small town in Niedersachsen, Germany. In my spare time I enjoy reading, singing, baking, hiking, and spending time with family and friends.
Defining Moment in Education: My educational experiences and life have been strongly influenced by my decision to learn German in 9th grade - a decision I made rather lightly, after my older, cooler brother assured me that German was the "coolest language in school." After falling in love with German, I tested my brother's statement by continuing to add languages to my schedule until I had taken three years of French and 4th year AP Spanish and German. From my experiences with learning several languages in high school and in college, I have concluded that all languages are cool in their own right, and all offer students wonderful opportunities to grow academically and socially. I am happy to share my love of languages and other cultures with my students.
Core Educational Belief: High school students should work toward achieving a broad academic base, since every subject helps students engage better with the world and prepares them to become well-informed community members. To that end, every student should consider learning (at least!) one other language. Learning another language helps students reflect on the structure of their first language(s), understand how meaning is constructed through language, and gain experience with different cultural perspectives.
- Director of the German Saturday School, teacher of middle/high school group (August 2017 - May 2018)
- German Saturday School teacher for 1st and 2nd grade (September 2013 - May 2017)
- German/French teacher at Copper Point School (August 2014-August 2015)
- Student teacher at Empire High School (August 2013-December 2013)
- English Teaching Assistant for the USTA Fulbright Program in Austria (September 2010-June 2011)
- Certified proctor for the German Language Diploma I (Deutsches Sprachdiplom I)
- Treasurer of the Arizona chapter of the AATG (American Association of Teachers of German) (March 2019 - present)
- Vice President of the Arizona chapter of the AATG (American Association of Teachers of German) (October 2016 - February 2019)
- Secretary of the Arizona chapter of the AATG (American Association of Teachers of German) (March 2014 - October 2016)