Degrees and Certifications:
(May 1998) Bachelor of Science in Education, Content Emphasis: Theater, (December 2004) Masters in Bilingual and Multicultural Education and E.S.L. endorsement (December 2019) Masters in Educational Leadership
I am Mamie Spillane. I have been in Amphi for 20 years and am proud to serve as the principal at Rio Vista Elementary School. I believe in teaching the whole child and am working to create a rich experience for every student that is tailored to meet their individual needs and interests.
Defining Moment in Education
At 18 years old, I got a job as a playground monitor at an elementary school in California. I loved working with students so much that I changed my major to elementary education and have never looked back. I taught English learners for many years and then went on to become an instructional coach, an assistant principal, and now a principal. Working with teachers and staff to provide students with every opportunity needed to achieve their goals has been my life's work.
Core Educational Belief(s)
- Teach each child as an individual. Develop a relationship and figure out what methods work best for that child.
- Never stop learning and growing.
- Do everything you can for every child and never give up.
- Assistant Principal at AHS
- Curriculum and Instruction Support Specialist for seven years
- ELD teacher at AMS for two years
- ELD teacher at Prince for eight years
- 3rd grade teacher in Guatemala City
- 1st grade teacher in Vietnam
- 5th grade teacher on the Navajo reservation
- 2007 Arizona Teacher of the Year Ambassador
- 2007 Arizona Refugee Teacher of the Year
- 2007 US Dept. of Ed. American Teaching Star winner for Arizona