The mission of AVID is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID?
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class during the school day, based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method, and collaborative grouping. The three main components of the program are:
- Academic instruction
- Tutorial support
- Motivation activities
What do we do in AVID?
- Learn with tutors and peers
- Develop note-taking skills
- Improve reading skills
- Critical thinking
- Build relationships with peers
- Encourage self-reliance
- Visit local college campuses
- Interact with guest speakers
- College and career preparation
- Community and school engagement
- School advocates and role models