Welcome to Odyssey of the Mind!
This class we will be working in groups to solve Long-Term Problems and Spontaneous problems over the year. Group work is a must. Each group will be from 5-7 members. There are 5 categories that the groups will have to choose from for their problem. At competition groups will earn points 3 ways in two separate competitions:
- Long-Term Problem (200 points):
- Specific Rules for each problem (5 LT problems to choose from)
- Open-Ended solutions
- Solution Presented in Skit Form (8-min)
- Spontaneous Problem (100 points):
- On the Spot problem solving
- Anything Goes
- 3 Types-Verbal, Hands on and Combo/Hybrid
- Style (50 points):
- Elaboration of LT problem
- Pizzazz, Sparkle, Polish during skit
- Team Chosen Elements from skit
It is mandatory for the group to participate in the regional competition usually in February or March. Exact date TBA.
Class points/grades earned 3 ways:
- Weekly Goals/Assessment:
- Attending class and group work
- In class activities and working on LT problems
- Class Participation:
- Class participation weekly grade
- Brainstorming to solve LT problems
- Spontaneous problem activities
- Keeping work area clean and safe
- 2 Saturday workshops at CDO (One in October and one in January) and the Tournament competition end of February. Exact dates TBA.
- Progress on Long-Term Goal:
- Choosing a group and problem
- Writing a script as a team to solve problem chosen
- Designing costumes and props.
- Practicing Skit
Additional each group must have a parent as a coach. As much as I will facilitate or be the coach in class. I am not allowed to be 3 or 4 groups coaches. At the tournament, each group will need a parent/coach to keep them on track for the tournament. I will need a coach to assist with any outside gathering of materials, extra practice sessions and most importantly Drive the group to the tournament (WITH ALL PROPS) and assist them at the tournament. I can’t help 3-5 groups at one time. I will need lots of assistance on this day. Think of yourself of like the class mom or dad.
This is a student led program. Which means students can’t have any outside help!!! Guidance only!
Just a reminder that since it is a tournament like a sport each member of the group MUST always have good grades so they can participate.
I am looking forward to a fantastic year!! If you have any questions or concerns, please email, or call me!
email@example.com or 520-696-5893