Child Find and Preschool Special Education Services
What is Child Find?
The Child Find team at Amphitheater Public Schools helps to locate and identify preschool-aged children with disabilities in need of special education services. Child Find Services are available to all residents living within the Amphitheater Public Schools attendance area. Screenings and evaluations are available to determine a child's need for special education services through Amphi.
Who is eligible for screening/evaluation?
Children between the ages of 2 years, 9 months and 5 years of age (prior to September 1 of current school year), who reside within Amphitheater School District Boundaries.
There is no cost for this service.
Why screen and evaluate preschool children?
When developmental learning challenges are identified at a young age, early intervention and therapies can significantly improve the child’s overall development and readiness for kindergarten.
What to watch for...
Children who are showing significant developmental difficulties with any of the following areas may be eligible:
Speaking/understanding of language
Vision or hearing
Physical skills: manipulating small objects/drawing/pre-writing, walking/running/balance
How to schedule a screening:
Call (520) 696-6860. A brief intake will be taken over the phone and a screening appointment will be scheduled within 45 days.
Screenings are conducted approximately twice monthly on
Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
What happens at the screening appointment?
- The screening appointment takes approximately 30 minutes.
- An audiologist will check your child's hearing.
- Vision will be screened via a photo vision screener.
- Team members will briefly screen your child in all developmental areas, to include speech/language, cognitive/pre-academics, physical (gross/fine motor), adaptive (self-help), and social/behavioral.
- A team member will share the screening results.
- If further evaluation is necessary, an appointment will be arranged for a multidisciplinary comprehensive developmental evaluation, which may include a speech/language pathologist, preschool psychologist, preschool special education teacher, occupational therapist, and/or a physical therapist, or other professionals as necessary.
What if my child is less than 3 years of age?
If you have concerns about a child that is between Birth and 2 years 9 months,
contact the Arizona Early Intervention Program at (520) 325-6495 or (877) 222-5432.