Substitutes are hired and managed through the Substitute Office, a division of Human Resources. Red Rover receives requests for substitutes, notifies, and places them in schools.
Certified Substitute Teacher
1. Apply here.
You will need to scan and upload the following documents:
- Arizona teaching or substitute certificate (that has been recorded with the Pima County Superintendent's Office)
- Fingerprint clearance card
Your application will be reviewed and retained on file for consideration for six (6) months. As the need arises to fill substitute positions, you will be contacted by our Human Resources Substitute Coordinator. You will be scheduled to attend substitute orientation, which you must attend before substituting.
If you do not hold an Arizona substitute or teaching certificate, but you are a college graduate with a least a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, please complete the following steps:
2. Obtain a from the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS); click here, then:
- Select “Apply for a Card Tab”
- Select “Online Application”
- Select “Apply for a Background Check – REGISTER”
- Select “Apply for a Fingerprint Clearance Card”
- Select “New Application” or “IVP Renewal”
- If select “New Application”
- Read and accept Privacy Act Statement
- Under “Identity Verified Prints (IVP) Applications” – Select reason:
- Classified Staff select: ARS 15-512 Public and/or Charter School Non-certificated personnel
- Teachers/Other Professional Certified Staff select: ARS 15-534 State Board of Education (Teacher or Other Certification)
- After selecting reason – select “PROCEED TO APPLICATION” and complete
- If select “IVP Renewal”
- Enter your IVP Number and Birth Date
- Follow instructions
- You will pay for new/renew card at this time: $74.95
- Print receipt to take to fingerprint location. No appointment needed:
1718 E Speedway Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85719
Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:30pm/Sat. 10:00am -2:00pm
3. Obtain official college or university transcript(s) with your degree posted.
4. Complete an Arizona Department of Education (ADE) Substitute Certification Application. You will need your fingerprint clearance card and your official transcript upon submission of your application. For more information, please visit ADE's website or call (602) 542-4367.
5. Register your certificate with the Pima County Superintendent's Office. The phone number is (520) 724-8451.
6. Complete an Amphitheater Public Schools certified substitute application as outlined above.
Certified Substitute Teacher Compensation:
Salary for the First 20 Assignments of Substituting (per school year):
- Full Day - $100.00/day
- Half Day - $50.00/day
Salary after Completing 20 Assignments of Substituting (per school year):
- Full Day - $125.00/day
- Half Day - $62.50/day
Being a certified substitute with Amphitheater Public Schools in no way constitutes an assurance of a minimum number of assignments. Employment is strictly on an on-call, as-needed basis.
Support Staff (Classified) Substitute
Positions such as office staff, special education aides, custodians, food services staff, school nurses and health assistants comprise a portion of our support staff. If you are interested in substituting in such positions, please apply here.
Your application will be reviewed and retained for consideration for six (6) months. As the need arises to fill substitute positions, you will be notified by our Human Resources Substitute Coordinator. You will be required to obtain fingerprint clearance prior to start of work. Fingerprint processing can be completed by the Human Resources Office. The cost for fingerprint processing is $30.00 and must be paid at the time of processing. Upon clearance, you will be asked to attend substitute orientation.
School Nurse Substitutes must also submit a current Arizona Registered Nursing License as well as proof of CPR child and adult certification.
School Health Assistant Substitutes must also submit proof of current CPR child and adult certification, as well as current First Aid certification.
Support Staff (Classified) Substitute Compensation (as of 1/1/2021):
Position Rate Behavior Monitor $12.15/hour Campus Monitor $12.15/hour Clerical $12.15/hour Computer Aide $12.15/hour Crossing Guard $12.15/hour Custodian $12.15/hour Food Service $12.15/hour Groundskeeper $12.15/hour Health Assistant $12.15/hour Instructional Aide $12.15/hour Security $12.15/hour Special Education Aide $12.15/hour
Being a support staff (classified) substitute with Amphitheater Public Schools in no way constitutes an assurance of a minimum number of assignments. Employment is strictly on an on-call, as-needed basis. Support staff (classified) substitutes are paid an hourly rate, based on the job performed.
If you have any questions, please contact our Substitute Coordinator: (520) 696-5244.