Amphitheater Information Services Electronic User Agreement
Acceptable Uses: I understand and agree as follows:
The Amphitheater Unified School District provides students and employees with access to information systems and educational technology resources consisting of: stand-alone computers and peripheral equipment, computer workstations connected to local area networks, server and networked peripheral equipment, a wide area network which includes access to the Internet, voice communication system, and electronic communication systems which include audio and video capability. The Amphitheater Information Services (AIS) System may only be used for educational purposes. The term "educational purposes" includes classroom activities, career or professional development, limited high-quality personal research and other work-related purposes. I may not use the system for entertainment purposes, commercial purposes or political lobbying. I am expected to follow the rules set forth in the District's disciplinary code and the law. In addition to this Agreement, my use of the AIS System is governed by Governing Board Policy IJNDB copies of which are available at each school office.
The AIS System has not been established as a public access service or a public forum. Therefore, the District has the right to place reasonable restrictions on the material accessed or posted through the system. I am expected to follow the rules set forth in the District's Policies and Administrative Regulations and the law. I realize that information accessed, created, sent, received or stored on the network is not private. It is subject to review by network system administrators and system administrators may investigate complaints regarding inappropriate or illegal material.
Unacceptable Uses. To prevent against unacceptable use of the AIS System, I understand and agree as follows:
- Personal safety or the safety of others. (Applicable to students only.)
- I will not post personal contact information about myself or others (i.e. names, addresses, telephone numbers, school address, etc.) unless I have prior written permission from my teacher and/or parent to do so.
- I will not meet with someone I meet online without my parent's approval and involvement.
- I will promptly tell my teacher or school principal if I receive any message that is inappropriate or makes me feel uncomfortable.
- Illegal Activities.
- I will not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the AIS System or any other computer system through the AIS System or go beyond my authorized access. I will not attempt to log in through another person's account or access their files without their express written permission.
- I will not attempt to disrupt the AIS System or destroy data by spreading viruses or by any other means.
- I will not use the AIS System to engage in any other illegal or inappropriate acts (drug or alcohol purchase, distribution or sale, criminal gang activity, threatening conduct, etc.).
- Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement.
- I will not plagiarize works I find on the Internet. Plagiarism is taking the ideas or writing of others and presenting them as if they were mine.
- I will respect the rights of copyright owners. Copyright infringement would occur if I inappropriately reproduce a work that is protected by a copyright. If a work contains language that specifies appropriate uses of that work, I will follow those requirements. If I am unsure of whether I may use a work, I will request permission from the copyright owner. I will ask a teacher or AIS System administrator if I have questions.
- I will not use obscene, lewd, vulgar, rude, inflammatory, threatening or disrespectful language.
- I will not post information that could cause damage or danger of disruption to the educational environment or operations of the District.
- I will not engage in personal attacks, including prejudicial or discriminatory attacks on individuals or groups. I will not harass others. Harassment is persistently acting in a manner that distresses or annoys another person. If I am told by someone to stop sending them messages, I will immediately stop.
- I will not knowingly or recklessly post false or defamatory information about a person or organization.
- I will not post chain letters or engage in "spamming" (sending unnecessary messages to a large number of people).
- System security.
- I am responsible for my email and/or network account. I will not provide my password to another person or use another person's password unless I have obtained prior written permission to do so from my teacher (for a student) or an AIS System administrator (for an employee).
- I will not permit another person to use my account or use another person's account unless I have obtained prior written permission to do so from my teacher (for a student) and an AIS System administrator (for an employee).
- I will immediately notify my teacher or the AIS System administrator if I have identified a possible security problem.
- I will not download software or load software on the network or hard drive of any computer in a manner inconsistent with the district’s Software Specifications without written authorization from the AIS Administrator to do so. The Software Specifications can be found at http://www.amphi.com/~technology/software.htm.
- I will follow the virus protection precautions when downloading software that I have been given prior written permission to download, to protect against the inadvertent spread of computer viruses. For security information, refer to http://www.amphi.com/~technology /security/index.htm.
- I will not attempt to harm or destroy data of another user or any other agencies or networks connected to the AIS System. This includes, but is not limited to, uploading or creating computer viruses.
- I will not move, harm, destroy or deface any District owned hardware.
- I will not attempt to repair District owned Technology Resources without prior written approval. All requests for repair or service will be channeled through the Department of Instructional Technology Hotline.
- I will have all portable information systems and educational technology resources assigned to me (such as notebook computers and peripheral or companion devices) at allocated sites during school hours unless prior written approval has been received.
- I will notify an AIS system administrator if a password is lost or stolen, or if there is a reason to believe that someone has obtained unauthorized access to the system.
- I will not attempt to use any personal electronic devices (i.e. PDAs, Blackberries, cell phones, etc.) to disrupt or damage our network services.
- Wireless networks will not be permitted without the express written authorization of the AIS System administrator.
- Inappropriate Transmission of and Access to Material.
- I will not transmit or access material that is profane or obscene (i.e. pornography), that advocates illegal acts, or that advocates violence or discrimination towards others (i.e. hate literature). A special exception may be made for teachers or high school students who wish to access hate literature if the purpose of the access is to conduct research. In this situation, a student must obtain both teacher and parental written consent.
- If I mistakenly access inappropriate information, I will immediately tell a teacher (for a student) or my supervisor (for an employee) so they know I did not intentionally access the information.
- I will transmit communications using only District approved and District managed communication systems. I will not use free, web-based mail, instant messaging, video conferencing or chat services which are not permitted on school networks unless expressly authorized.
- The development and posting of all web pages must be in a manner specified by the District's Department of Informational Technology. Material placed on web pages must relate to school and career preparation activities and be used to inform, communicate, and educate.
- I understand that many services are available for a fee and I know that I am responsible for paying for those services, if used.
- General Network Etiquette.
- I will be brief. Few people will bother to read a long message.
- I will minimize spelling errors and make sure my message is easy to understand and read.
- I will use accurate and descriptive titles in my communications, so people will know what it is about before they read it.
- I will address the most appropriate audience for my message, not the widest.
- I will remember that humor and satire is very often misinterpreted.
- I will remember that if I post to multiple groups, I will specify all groups in a single message.
- I will cite references for any facts that I present.
- I will not attack correspondents; I will persuade them with facts.
- I will exercise good judgment and care to ensure that I do not use the AIS system in a manner that will embarrass, hurt or harm others.
I understand that the District may restrict my speech for valid educational or business reasons. I understand and agree that:
- My use of the district’s AIS System is not private. My parents can request to see the contents of my E-mail files at any time (applies to students under 18 years).
- Routine maintenance and monitoring of the AIS System may lead to discovery that I have violated District Policies, Administrative Regulations, this Agreement or the law.
- An individual search will be conducted if there is a reasonable suspicion that I have violated this Agreement, District Policy, Administrative Regulation or the law. The investigation will be reasonable and related to the suspected violation.
- The District will cooperate fully with local, state or federal officials in any investigation related to any illegal activities conducted using the AIS System.
- If I am alleged to have violated this Agreement, District Policy IJNDB or the law in my use of the AIS System, I will be provided with notice of the suspected violation and an opportunity to present an explanation of what occurred. If the alleged violation also involves a violation of other provisions of the District's disciplinary code, it will be handled in a manner described in the disciplinary code.
- The District reserves the right to restrict or revoke my use of the AIS System at any time, if deemed within the District's best interest.
Disclaimer of Liability.
The District makes no warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, for the services provided. The District shall not be liable for damages I suffer caused by my inappropriate use of the AIS system, copyright violations, mistakes or negligence. The District shall not be responsible for any costs I incur without the District's prior written permission. The District shall not be responsible for ensuring the accuracy or usability of any information found on the Internet. The District shall not be responsible for any damages I suffer while using its AIS system, such as loss of data, malfunctions, delays, non-deliveries, misdeliveries or service interruptions caused by the service or by my errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the information service is at my own risk. Parents, adult students and employees can be held financially responsible for any harm to the system as a result of intentional misuse.
- Personal safety or the safety of others. (Applicable to students only.)