SY 1920 Johnson O'Malley
Indian Education Committee
Phone: (520) 696-5051
Chairperson: Cyndie Nahsonhoya
Secretary/Treasurer: Christine Nelson
The Native American Education Johnson O'Malley Program has a three (3) member parent committee that offers guidance and support of the NAEP Program. The committee consists of parents, grandparents, and/or legal guardians of eligible Native American students enrolled within the Amphitheater Public Schools. Committee members are elected and serve staggered terms of office.
The goal of the Amphitheater JOM Indian Education Committee (IEC) is to support the Native American Education Program which meet the unique educational and culturally related academic needs of the Native American/Alaska Native students in the areas of reading, math, writing, and attendance.
According to the JOM IEC Constitution and By-Laws the powers and duties of the Parent Committee include:
- Recommend curriculum, including texts, materials and teaching methods to be used in the contract programs
- Approve budget preparation and execution
- Recommend criteria for employment in the program
- Nominate up to three qualified prospective staff members from which School District would select for interview and review for hire
- Evaluate job positions and program results and make recommendations to the School District Administration
- Secure and have available a copy of the sub-contract application on file
- Recommend cancellation or suspension of approved program if the Amphitheater Public School District fails to permit committee to exercise powers and duties
The organizational papers and by-laws of the NAEP Parent Committee may include additional powers and duties